Creating memorials of lasting beauty in Southern Ontario since 1929
Leslie Alexander Kirkpatrick was apprenticed to his stonemason uncle who emigrated from Scotland at the turn of the 20th century. Leslie eventually migrated to Welland, where he met and married widow, Beatrice (Misener) O’Brine. In 1929 he started L.A. Kirkpatrick and son in a tiny shop in Fonthill with his then 14-year-old stepson Earle. Many a tale was told about taking potatoes and other goods in exchange for monuments in the lean years of the Great Depression.
Throughout the years, numerous changes took place. A new shop was built in the 50’s next to Fonthill cemetery and “Double Process Carving” and “Steel Shot Sandblasting” were introduced – first time in this area. This process, still used today, produces clearer, sharper lettering and designs, using no paint. In 1964, responding to growing demand further to the west, the Dunnville office was opened. Some years later, Earle’s son and son-in-law joined the firm and an equipment modernization program began. The late 70’s and early 80’s saw the acquisition of two businesses from long-time friends and competitors in Welland and St. Catharines and a new office opened in Niagara Falls. In 1987, Monu-cad, an industry specific computer assisted design system was introduced, the first of its kind in Canada and only second in the world. This system, still used today, allows us to show families a scaled drawing of exactly what they are getting before any work was done.
The new millennium saw some changes. In 2001, employee, Mike Law purchased the firm from the retiring owners. Having been with the company since 1994, Mike quite easily segued from labourer to facilitator to owner. At this time, the company’s name was simplified to Kirkpatrick Monuments. In 2009, an office was opened in Fort Erie, and a natural stone and quartz counter top operation began in the Fonthill facility. In 2010 Bradfield Monuments in Simcoe, Ontario was purchased, bringing the total locations to seven. In 2014 we further diversified by supplying Wilbert Burial Vaults to selected funeral homes in our area. In 2016, we purchased Rigg Mooney Monuments in Niagara Falls. The former Rigg Mooney building on Queen St. has been completely renovated and updated, and our existing Niagara Falls office relocated to this freshly transformed space in March 2017. In April 2017, we further expanded by purchasing Barber Monuments in St. Catharines.
Serving our communities since 1929 has been an honour and a privilege. We thank all of the families who have put their trust and confidence in us and welcome the opportunity to serve those who need us.
1051 Niagara Street, Welland ON L3C 1M5
Phone: 905-732-6752 | Fax: 905-732-6534
Did you know Kirkpatrick Stoneworks also specializes in Granite Countertops?